ILO Volleyball Club
ILO Volleyball is an indoor volleyball club created under the auspices of the ILO Sports & Leisure Association, but open to non-ILO players. We play during the school year in two school gyms close to the ILO. It was formed in 1995 (?) and indeed several of the original players are still with the team!
Where and When?
At present, we have two nights of volleyball:
- Tuesdays, 20:00-22:00 at Collège de Budé, chemin Briquet 4, 1209 Geneva, Suisse
- This is a more relaxed evening, with players of varying degrees of experience and ability. Tuesday evenings are just for fun; it's not a team, per se, and we don't have scheduled matches against others. If you've never played before, or if you want to start playing again after a long time off, this is probably the right place to start. The school is easily accessible with Bus 3 at the Bus Stop "Tourelle".
Note Bene There is some construction at the school at the moment so the normal entrance is closed and access to the gym is from the side of the school that faces the Migros on the corner and directly behind the Bus Stop.
- Wednesdays, 20:00-22:00 at Cycle d'Orientation Coudriers, avenue Joli-Mont 15A, 1209 Genève, Suisse
- This is the ILO club team, which plays in the Geneva Relaxed League. Since the 2015-2016 season, we've been in Mixed Division A ("XA"). While we are a fun bunch of people (see above), these trainings/practices are a bit more serious. We often will work on a particular skill or emphasize something the coach noticed from the last match. We play with designated positions (Setter, Opposite, Middle Blocker, Outside Hitter, and Libero). The average level of play is notably higher with these players than on Tuesdays.
The gym is located at the school across the street from the Balexert Pathé cinema street entrance and is best accessible by buses 10, 51, or 53.
(Many of our current members also play beach volleyball, but that is unrelated to ILO. Ask for details.)
Members of the ILO Volleyball club must submit a yearly release form and pay the annual membership fee (80 CHF or 40 CHF for students/interns). If you want to pay cash, please see Stefan Kühn or Alison Irvine-Moget on Wednesday evenings or Ida Kokoshari on Tuesday evenings. If you want to pay by bank transfer, here are the bank details:
- PostFinance Bank Account
- Account Number: 12-12754-5
- Name: Saturday Sports Society
IBAN: CH55 0900 0000 1201 2754 5
Note: Please do not pay in cash at the bank teller, as this incurs an extra cost “pour paiements au guichet.” The charge is perhaps not extreme, but it’s unnecessary. If you want to pay cash, please give it to one of the contacts above and they’ll take care of it.